It’s not rocket-science the world around you is changing. The Internet is growing and expanding. As it expands, it creates change. The Internet will create opportunities – coincidently it will also end many industries as we know them.
Some businesses will survive – some won’t.
The pendulum has swung and now it’s time to get onboard or lose money in your business. My guess is you’re already leaving some money on the table by not understanding how online marketing works.
The largest oversight of most businesses is the consumer – the very consumer they desperately need. As a business you may want new clients or customers – but you’re not acknowledging that the way they communicate has changed considerably. You’re from Venus but now your customer is from Mars.
[pullquote]Gone are the days that we push our messages down our target market’s throat. Now, we attract them and pull them to us. That’s how online marketing works in the new world.[/pullquote]
Will you learn the language so you can expand your business and adapt?
Online Marketing – Let’s Set the Stage
The online marketing world holds many incredible opportunities to grow your business. You have many opportunities to reach your target market like never before. No more do you have to run ads in a newspaper, hope that someone sees the ad, then wait for them to call you. Now, for a fraction of what an ad costed you can take out an ad on Facebook for example and tangibly “see” potential customers connecting with your business.
Many businesses want to take advantage of all the wonderful things online marketing can bring – but they’ve found that it does take a little elbow grease so they keep putting it off. Or they try to take short-cuts.
Here are two very important points I want to get across:
- You must get educated in this process. You have to learn how this works and how to apply it to your business. Don’t take short-cuts.
- You must have a consistent strategy to see reward. A blog post or email newsletter here and there won’t cut it.
So if you insist on the “quickie” approach to your online marketing don’t expect to benefit very much from it.
Online Marketing – Tough Questions to Answer
1. Take out your handheld device and look up your website on the Internet. What does your visitor see? Do you realize that over half of people surf the Internet with their phones?
Ramez Naam was recently asked by Search Engine Land, “Where do you think we are heading in terms of search — and search technology — overall?” His response was, “Search is going to be dominated by mobile. Desktop is still there, but people are spending more and more time on mobile. Think about if your content works on a mobile device — because even if it is optimized really well and gets to the top of the search rankings as a result, you’re kind of screwed if the user can’t interact with it on a mobile device.”
2. Look at your website from the consumer’s perspective. Does your website serve your target market? Does it welcome them? Does it have what they need there at hello? Is it easy to navigate? In the past businesses built brochure type websites – those aren’t going to cut it in today’s world. Your website needs to be customer focused and packed with information that’s aimed right at them if you expect them to stay. Your website needs operate much like a spider web, it needs to pull your target market in. Also remember you have only a few seconds to get your target market’s attention so look at your website while counting to 3.
3. Do an Internet search to see where you rank. Using Chrome as your browser because it’s used by most searchers type in what a searcher would if they were looking for your product or service and see if your business is in the search. Now if you do business locally you’ll need to type in your city. (Be sure that you’re logged out of your Google account in that browser otherwise you won’t get a correct reading.)
Example: plumber in Birmingham, AL
If you’re like me and you have an Internet based business or you’ll want to just type in what you do as someone would that was looking for what you do but leave off the city.
87% of people don’t go past page one so if you’re not there, you’re losing money in potential sales.
4. Time to take a look at your competition. If you’re not in that search or even if you are – who else is there? You should always know how far ahead they are of you in the search – they’re getting business you aren’t.
5. How are you growing your list? If you grow your list, you grow your sales, if you grow your sales, you grow your business. Growing the list is the number one priority for almost every business. Putting it off WILL cost you money. Putting it off WILL cost you in missed opportunities! I can’t tell you how many business owners launch a new product or write a book and they don’t have a list developed. Then they wonder why they struggle! You should be developing a target list that you can get your message out to on a regular basis. Which takes me to number 6…..
6. Are you leveraging email marketing in your business? This is one of the most powerful marketing tools in the arsenal and if you aren’t using it – it IS costing you money. Click here to check out this article for further reading on the power of email marketing.
7. Are you leveraging pay per click (PPC) advertising? Marketing in today’s world is about growing a tribe. A tribe of people that are connected with your business or brand and have interest in what you’re saying. A tribe of people that you can serve and provide them with great services and information. You can do that so much faster by leveraging pay per click advertising. If you’re not taking advantage of Facebook advertising or Google paid ads you’re really missing out. For a low investment you can receive a large return. Recently, I did a video about the powerful impact PPC has on your business. Take a few minutes and check it out – you’ll be convinced! Click here to check out the video on YouTube.
For further reading click here for a great article published by Adweek, Marketing is Expected to Undergo Radical Changes Over the Next 5 Years.
Are you ready to let go of your old ways and your old mindset? I hope so. The quicker you get onboard with online marketing – the quicker you can start growing your business! I don’t want you to be one of those that will be left behind!